Certificate in Disaster and Emergency Management
About the Certificate ProgramThe Graduate Certificate in Disaster and Emergency Management complements the existing graduate programs offered by the University’s Hauptmann School for Public Affairs. The public’s continued concern for efficient governmental response to natural and man-made disasters, along with the recent significant investment in emergency management activities, requires knowledgeable public managers, including managers transitioning from other areas of expertise. The array of potential hazardous events that now confront public managers includes Homeland Security issues, failures of complex technology and a wide range of natural hazards. Students possessing a Graduate Certificate in Disaster and Emergency Management will be well-prepared to engage the public policy issues surrounding these community hazards.
CurriculumFoundation courses 6 cr.
- PA 552 Public Policy and Disaster 3 cr.
And select one:
- PA 551 Principles of Disaster and Emergency Management 3 cr.
- PA 553 Disaster and Society 3 cr.
Theory integration courses (select four): 8 cr.
- PA 581 Global Hazard Reduction 2 cr.
- PA 582 Disaster, Disease and Public Health 2 cr.
- PA 583 Technology, Accidents and Organizations 2 cr.
- PA 584 Continuity of Government Operations 2 cr.
- PA 585 Natural Hazards and the Urban Environment 2 cr.
- PA 586 Planning for Emergencies and Disasters 2 cr.
- PA 587 Government Response to Terrorism 2 cr.