Fall 2013Congratulations to 2013-2014 special activities and awards recipients.
- Senior legal studies major, Bailie Berner for receiving a Pathways paid internship with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services that will continue during her completion of law school and result in permanent employment following her completion of her law degree
- Sophomore education with science emphasis major Ayla Parham for receipt of the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship award to study abroad in Morocco for spring semester, 2014
- Freshman graphic design major Rachal Crouse for receiving an internship offer from Disney
- Sophomore education with science emphasis major Ayla Parham for acceptance to study abroad in Morocco for spring semester, 2014
- Junior English, writing concentration, major Daniel Pfeiffer for being named one of four State, Regional, and Provincial Award winners of the 2013 NCTE/SLATE Affiliate Intellectual Freedom Awards. These awards are sponsored by the National Council of Teachers of English Standing Committee Against Censorship. The Nebraska English Language Arts Council nominated Daniel to recognize his efforts toward advancing the cause of intellectual freedom, based on an essay about book banning. The essay, written in Honors EN106, previously appeared in the online Honors journal, Aisthesis. Read Daniel's essay
- Junior math major Ashley Harbin for recognition at the PEO (a service organization recognizing the accomplishments of young women in academia) Dallas Conference at its STAR display
- Senior legal studies major Bailie Berner for acceptance to the UMKC School of Law, following what the Admissions Committee labeled “a terrific interview”
- Senior psychology major Taylor Whipple for earning a paid internship based on her exemplary service working with disabled youth at Accessible Arts in Kansas City, KS
Spring 2013Congratulations to 2012-2013 special activities and awards recipients, and seniors accepted to graduate school.
- Senior chemistry major, Frances Venable for Honorable Mention as a National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship applicant and for receipt of the Rackham Merit Fellowship for graduate study, University of Michigan
- Senior geography major, Rachel Dryden for receiving a summer, 2013 NASA internship in Earth Science using satellite data in disaster monitoring and for the award of a full fellowship for graduate study at McGill University, Montreal, Canadav
- Senior Psychology major Rebekah Purvis for a graduate scholarship to study at Wright State University
- Senior legal studies major Sarah Dietz for acceptance to the Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan
- Junior legal studies major Bailie Berner for acceptance into the Kansas Governor's Internship Program
- Junior psychology major Taylor Whipple for acceptance to study abroad in the University of Stirling Program, Scotland
- Freshman geography and political science major Bailey Puckett for acceptance to study abroad at the Grint Center for Education and Culture, Moscow University for the Humanities, 2013
- Freshman chemistry major Allison Davis for acceptance to study abroad at Franklin College in Lugano, Switzerland, summer, 2013
- Sophomore math major Ashley Hardin for acceptance to the Summer 2013 Service Learning program in Namibia and receipt of the Patton Scholarship for study abroad
Fall 2012Congratulations to 2012-2013 special activities and awards recipients
Fulbright Alumni Ambassador for the year 2013
- Sophomore English major Sasha Pearce for acceptance of her essay by the Honors journal, Aisthesis
- Sophomore English major Sasha Pearce for acceptance to the Middlebury College Chinese School to engage in intensive Chinese language study in summer, 2013
- Sophomore legal studies major Bailie Berner for completing an internship with Missouri State Representative Noel Torpey and for receiving an internship with the Secret Service Field Office in Kansas City for spring, 2013
- Freshman business administration/marketing major Taylor Doescher for receiving an internship with Farmers Insurance
- Freshman geography major Bailey Puckett for receiving an internship with JVS to support refugee services
- Senior geography major Rachel Dryden for selection to participate in the fall 2012 NASA Geologic Age of Volcanic Units on Mars Internship at Goddard Space Flight Center and also as winner of the Emerson Scholarship, presented to a student that is considered an outstanding representative of Park University. This scholarship is stewarded through Missouri Colleges Fund, Inc.
- Freshman English major Daniel Pfeiffer for essay publication in Honors journal, Aisthesis - Read Daniel's essay
- Freshman math major Ashley Harbin for earning a competitive internship with Northwestern Mutual Financial Network
- Junior geography major Rachel Dryden, for winning two internationally competitive fellowships for the 2012-2013 academic year. The first, the Killam Fellowship, is an award by the Canadian Fulbright Commission to study abroad in Canada. The second, the Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD)/German Academic Exchange Service Undergraduate Scholarship, is an award to study abroad in Germany for a semester. Rachel will study in Canada at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec in the fall of 2012, and in Berlin, Germany at the Freie Universität’s Institute of Meteorology in the spring of 2013.
- Junior chemistry major Frances Venable for a summer REU for nanomaterial research at the University of Illinois, Champain-Urbana
- Senior biology major Miki Katuwal for appointment to a full-time molecular virology research assistant position with the University of Kansas Medical Center.
- Senior biology major Alexander Jobe for appointment to a full-time research assistant position with The Missouri Conservation Department.
- Sophomore psychology major Taylor Whipple for her receiving the Newman Civic Fellow Award. View her interview with Fox 4 News.
- Senior biology major Miki Katuwal as a Boe Research Award winner from the Great Plains Honors Council
- Senior biology major Alex Jobe for appointment to an internship as a junior research analyst with the Kansas Parks and Wildlife Manager
- Senior biology major Miki Katuwal for winning a Boe Research Award from the Great Plains Honors Conference
- Senior biology major Alex Jobe, for appointment to an internship as a junior research analyst with the Kansas Parks and Wildlife Manager
- Senior English major, Jasey Huber, for the award of a student career experience program (SCEP) opportunity by the U.S. Center for Immigration Services, DHS, in the Kansas City area
- Junior physical geography major, Rachel Dryden, for participation in the NASA Fall 2011 Quality Control of Doppler Radar Wind Profiler Database Internship at Marshall Space Flight Center
- Junior communication arts/public relations and communication arts/broadcasting double major Andria Enns, for receiving the America's Unofficial Ambassador's Mosaic Scholarship, which will help support her travel to Amman, Jordan, during winter break to work in women's empowerment.
Honors Alum News
- Honors Program alum Loren Ray Laughlin Flageolle (2009), accepted to the MS Program in Human Nutrition program at the University of Bridgeport
- Honors Program alum Charif Hamidi (2011) received the People to People International 2011 University Chapter Leadership Award. Hamidi will be recognized at the 2011 PTPI Board of Trustees meeting in Brussels, Belgium, in September.