The Colonel John Harris family migrated from Kentucky in 1832 and settled in the West Port area. Their first home consisted of a four room log house. In 1855, John and his wife Henrietta built a two-story, all brick, Greek revival house known as the "Mansion House." The Westport Historical Society acquired the home in 1976 and restored the original 1855 portion of the house as a house museum.
History majors Perry Cougill, Chante Dean, Vanessa Garza, Brady Hanssen, James Hodges, John Lange, Brian Moon, and Claire Petersen, along with their guests, and Patti Urdang, Park University horticulturist, assisted board members from the Westport Historical Society, on October 9, in removing over grown trees and plantings to create new gardens and additional green spaces at the Harris-Kearney House Museum.