Kansas City Metro OpportunitiesStudent Leadership and Engagement understands that you seek out involvement and leadership for a variety of reasons, some of which include serving others, networking, building skills, discovering yourself, making new friends, and creating change.
Looking for help with goals, planning a meeting or recruiting new members? Check out MyPark.
- Operation Breakthrough: The mission of Operation Breakthrough is to help children who are living in poverty develop to their fullest potential by providing them a safe, loving and educational environment. Operation Breakthrough also strives to support and empower the children’s families through advocacy, referral services and emergency aid. To volunteer, contact Jenny Horsley, Volunteer Coordinator, or call (816) 329-5233.
- Seton Center Family & Health Services: Seton Center is a Catholic sponsored human service agency in Greater Kansas City which helps people break cycles of poverty. Seton Center provides health, social and educational programs to address current community needs and tools to support people in transforming their lives. Contact Bruce Palmer at (816) 231-3955 ext. 109 to volunteer.
- Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault (MOSCA): Greatest need is with the Crisis Line and Hospital Advocates, but also need assistance with fundraising, special events and more. Applications and a training process is required. Contact Lindsay Benson, BSW at (816) 931-4571 ext. 276 for more information.
- Bridging The Gap; Kansas City's Community Recycling Centers: Help with Kansas City Wildlands community restoration and cleanup, Earth Day volunteers, and much more. To volunteer, contact Laura O'Brien, Volunteer Coordinator, by email or at (816) 561-1090 unless otherwise indicated.
- The Children's Place: Since 1978, The Children’s Place has been committed to meeting the developmental and mental health needs of the youngest victims of child abuse, neglect and other trauma. Within the Kansas City community and beyond, the agency’s specialized expertise in working with traumatized young children has made The Children’s Place a recognized leader in the prevention and treatment of child abuse and neglect. Email or call (816) 363-1898 to find out how to help.
- Harvesters Community Food Network: Assist with sorting and repackaging donated products, picking up and loading food, monitoring safe food compliance, teach children's nutrition education and cooking, and more. Contact Paula Pratt, Volunteer Services Manager by email or at (816) 929-3090.
- The Boys and Girls Club of Greater Kansas City: The Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Kansas City provide a fun and safe environment for youth ages 5 - 18 to learn, play, meet new people and grow. Whether it's 3 on 3 basketball or digital arts and media, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Kansas City provide leading edge programs to thousands of area youth each day. Email to find out more.
- Hope House: Hope House is Missouri's largest domestic violence shelter with two secure locations in Independence, Missouri and Lee's Summit, Missouri. Over the past 23 years, Hope House programs and services have expanded to include outreach therapy, court advocacy, a safe visitation center, hospital based advocacy, on-call women's advocates who work with area police departments, professional training on domestic violence for medical students, newly recruited police officers, corporations, hospital personnel, social workers and prevention programs in area schools. Hope House's hotline and programs help more than 15,000 battered women and children each year. Email or call (816) 461-4188 ext. 342 to volunteer.
- SAFEHOME: SAFEHOME's vision is to eliminate domestic violence and sexual assault and the mission to break the cycle of sexual and domestic violence and abuse. The goal of shelter services is to provide a healing atmosphere where survivors can gain inner strength, build self-esteem, explore options and establish a life free of violence. Email for more information.
- You can also contact The United Way of Greater Kansas City or do a search with the following volunteer search engines for more ideas and opportunities.