Tobacco Use PolicyOn the Parkville Campus, smoking is restricted to designated smoking areas, which includes a ten-foot radius around the burgundy-colored benches located on campus. The burgundy-colored benches/smoking locations have been moved to their newly-designated areas in an effort to help individuals become accustomed to the new locations. These new locations are as follows:
- Northwest corner of Herr House parking lot (previously located between Thompson Commons and Herr House)
- North side of Findlay-Wakefield Science Hall near loading dock (previously located between Norrington Center and Findlay-Wakefield Science Hall)
- Between Alumni Hall and Copley-Thaw Hall (previously located outside Copley Quad)
- North side of Copley Quad and west of the driveway (previously located near the 6th Street pedestrian bridge)
- North of the Breckon Sports Center
- North of the Chesnut and Dearing Hall circle
- South of the Mackenzie entrance to the Commercial Underground
Please note that the underground is considered a building. Designated smoking areas include benches, plus urns for the disposal of cigarette/cigar butts. The use of tobacco in any other Parkville campus location or the disposal of cigarette/cigar butts anywhere other than the supplied urns, are subject to Park University fines and other sanctions and will be enforced by Campus Safety staff. Students should also be aware of the Parkville, Missouri City Code Chapter 206 banning smoking in public places - which could lead to additional fines imposed by the City of Parkville.
Please note that as of July 1, 2015, the Parkville Campus of Park University will be entirely smoke-free. The Downtown Kansas City, Missouri; Independence, Missouri; and Austin, Texas campuses will also be smoke-free as of July 1, 2015.
RESPECT AND RESPONSIBILITYWe ask all members of the Park University community to show respect for smokers and non-smokers. Enforcing the new policy is a shared responsibility, so we ask for your assistance and cooperation. Any concerns should be brought to the attention of the Campus Safety Department by calling (816)584-6444.
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERSWho is affected?
All persons on the Park University campuses in Parkville, Kansas City, and Independence should abide by this policy: students, faculty, staff, alumni, contractors, and any visitors.
In all other Park-leased spaces (Campus Centers, Education Centers, and more) – students and employees should abide by the smoking policies of that building.
What products are prohibited by this policy?
The policy prohibits the smoking of cigarettes, e-cigarettes, pipes, cigars, hookahs and water pipes, plus the use of smokeless tobacco.
Are other universities smoke-free?
Yes. More than 1,000 other U.S. colleges and universities have either tobacco-free or smoke-free policies in place for the entire campus, indoors and outdoors.