Park University Student Newspaper Wins Awards at MCMA ConferenceFriday, April 11, 2014
April 11, 2014 — Park University’s student newspaper, The Stylus, earned 25 awards at the annual Missouri College Media Association conference on April 5 in Kirksville, Mo.
Competing in Division 3 (small 4-year colleges and universities) of the awards contest, The Stylus brought home two of the biggest awards from the conference — the Sweepstakes Award, given to the newspaper earning the most award points, and the Best Newspaper Award. The latter award required three issues of the newspaper to the submitted and judged on the overall quality of the writing, photography and design of the publication. Submitted entries were from the Spring 2013 and Fall 2013 semesters. (In the adjacent photo are The Stylus staff who attended the conference (from left): Amelia Jenny, Kendal Pickett, Karen Eckman and Kassie Lawson, along with a giant head of Matt Rogers, who was unable to attend.)
Of the 25 awards won by The Stylus, Matt Rogers, senior communication arts/journalism major from San Diego, (attended Clairemont High School) earned nine individual awards, including a first, second and third place sweep of the “Photo Page Design” awards.
The Stylus’ current adviser is Ashley Vasquez, adjunct instructor of communication arts. John Lofflin, professor of journalism and photography, served as adviser during the Spring 2013 semester. A complete list of awards follows.
• Sweepstakes — first place
• Best Newspaper — first place
• Best Special Section or Supplement — first place and third place
• Editorial Writing — honorable mention
• News Writing — Maria Alzate, December 2013 Bachelor of Arts in communication arts/journalism graduate and current Master of Business Administration student, Leavenworth, Kan. (attended Carlisle (Pa.) High School), and Karen Eckman, senior interdisciplinary studies major, Parkville, Mo. (attended Park Hill South High School, Riverside, Mo.), honorable mention
• Feature Writing — Matt Rogers, senior communication arts/journalism major, San Diego (attended Clairemont High School), first place and third place
• Investigative Writing — Andi Enns, May 2013 Bachelor of Arts in communication arts/public relations major, Parkville, Mo., second place
• Regular Column — Janek Sunga, senior English writing major, Miwani, Kenya, honorable mention
• Sports Column — Stuart Brewer, senior communication arts/broadcasting major, Parkville, Mo., third place and honorable mention
• Entertainment Review — Zach Olmstead, senior elementary education major, Lake Zurich, Ill. (attended Kearney [Mo.] High School), third place
• Feature Photography — Rogers, first place and honorable mention
• Sports Photography — Kassandra Lawson, junior communication arts/photojournalism major, Merriam, Kan. (attended Mid-Buchanan High School, Faucett, Mo.), third place
• Sports Illustration: Jasur Rakhimov, Master of Business Administration student, Kansas City, Mo. (originally from Samarkand, Uzbekistan), second place
• Editorial/Op-Ed Page Design: Kendal Pickett, senior communication arts/journalism major, Morrisville, N.Y. (attended Morrisville High School), second place
• Sports Page Design: Lawson, first place; Lauren Purdy, senior communication arts/public relations major, Arlington, Texas (attended James W. Martin High School), second place
• Photo Page Design: Rogers, first place, second place and third place
• Feature Page Design: Rogers, first place and third place