In celebration of the leadership achievements of Park University students, faculty and staff during the 2015-16 academic year, the Office of Student Life and the Park Student Government Association co-hosted the 21th annual Dr. Doris A. Howell Leadership Awards on April 13 on the University’s Parkville Campus. The banquet is named for Howell, a 1944 Park graduate and an internationally renowned leader in pediatrics and hospice care.
Awards presented and the recipients (name, year in school, major, hometown [and high school attended, if known], for students; name, work title and hometown for faculty/staff):
Dr. Doris Howell Leadership Awards
This award is given to students who distinguish themselves uniquely as leaders regardless of position or title. Recipients represent the spirit of a Park University by: pursuing integrity in every endeavor; inclusiveness as a global citizen; are responsible and respectful in word, work and conduct; are aware of the implications and rewards of their education; truthful in every action; and excellence in modeling the Park University lifestyle.
• Baye (Kevin) Baba, junior political science/international politics major, St. Cloud, Minn.
• Hannah Bertram, junior English writing major, Cameron, Mo.
• Xavielle Brown, senior interdisciplinary studies major, Fort Wayne, Ind.
• Waizheng (Wei) He, sophomore social psychology major, Kansas City, Mo. (attended Mehlville High School, St. Louis, Mo.)
• Alayna Howard, junior communication arts/public relations and English writing major, Kingston, Mo. (attended Cameron [Mo.] High School)
• Anna Jaehn, senior psychology major, Goettingen, Germany
• Abigail Jeans, sophomore elementary education/language arts major, Platte City, Mo.
• Esther Komoe, senior business administration/finance and business administration/international business major, Rabat, Morocco
• Kara Lough, senior elementary education/language arts major, Wentzville, Mo. (attended Wentzville Holt High School)
• Doreen Nakagiri, senior information and computer science/data management major, Kampala, Uganda
• Jessica Pham, sophomore chemistry major, Kansas City, Mo. (attended Oak Park High School)
• Nathan Stegemann, senior biology major, Kansas City, Mo. (attended Park Hill High School)
• Tobias Styrstrom, senior business administration/international business major, Mariehamn, Finland
Honorary Dr. Doris Howell Award
This was a special award presented to Virginia Brackett, Ph.D., professor of English and director of Park’s Honors Academy, Kansas City, Mo., who is retiring at the end of the academic year. Brackett was honored for her outstanding service to the University community and its students for the past 10 years.
Outstanding Class Member Awards
This award honors one male and one female student from each class (sophomore, junior and non-graduating senior, based on the number of years enrolled at Park, not by credit hours completed) who best represents their class in service to, and participation in, Park University.
• Non-Graduating Seniors
--- Jeremy Barnes, senior accounting and business administration/management major, Buckner, Mo. (attended Fort Osage High School, Independence, Mo.)
--- Ayla Parham, senior biology and secondary education major, Rogersville, Mo. (attended Clever [Mo.] High School)
--- James Berry, junior athletic training major, Olathe, Kan. (attended Olathe North High School)
--- Lisa Sack, junior social psychology major, Kansas City, Mo.
--- James Boyer, sophomore business administration/management major, Kansas City, Mo.
--- Aaliyah Brown, sophomore fitness and wellness major, St. Louis, Mo.
This award is given to honor an outstanding contribution by a Park University faculty or staff member. It is named in honor of two former Park University professors, Albert Dusing and Merrill Proudfoot, who worked at Park for more than 20 years each and are respected for their academic and teaching betterment of students.
• Florenda Jarrard, assistant director of academic support, Kansas City, Mo.
This award is given to honor an outstanding service contribution to Park University by a Park alumnus/alumna. It is named to honor Bill and Mary Lou Tipton, both 1928 Park graduates. Throughout their lives, the Tiptons served Park University through the Park University Alumni Association, Friends of the Park University Library and the Park University Board of Trustees.
• R. Lynn Bondurant, Ph.D., 1961 graduate, Avon, Ohio
Park Family Award
This award recognizes a Park staff or faculty member who embodies the University’s family-like culture in his/her interaction with students and fellow staff/faculty.
• Betty Dusing, associate librarian, Parkville, Mo.
Toni Griggs Award
This award is given to honor students who have made an outstanding contribution to Park University through leadership, service or work performance. Griggs, a Park employee and an integral part of the University for three decades, was a friend to Park students, faculty and staff.
• Shayla Wilson, graduate student in the Master of Social Work program, Overland Park, Kan. (attended Putnam City North High School, Oklahoma City, Okla.)
• Kirill Zhurauliou, senior political science/international politics major, Minsk, Belarus
C.W. Bailey Award
This award is given in memory of C.W. Bailey, grandfather of John Shelton, a 1976 Park graduate, to students for the purpose of facilitating their education to the end that they may make a contribution to society in the tradition of Bailey. It is presented to one or two students who have distinguished themselves and exhibited the spirit of Park University.
• Armando Moran, sophomore business administration/management major, Kansas City, Mo. (attended Bishop Ward High School, Kansas City, Kan.)
• Sarah Zitter, sophomore Spanish major, Overland Park, Kan.
Park Servant Leader of the Year Award
Awarded to a student who exemplifies the characteristics of a strong servant leader and/or has a service-focused mindset, and has worked effectively with others in the University and/or surrounding community to be a positive change.
• Amanda Riley, senior social work major, Osage Beach, Mo. (attended School of the Osage, Lake Ozark, Mo.)
Faculty/Staff Newcomer of the Year Award
Presented to the faculty or staff member in his/her first year of outstanding service to the University.
--- Andrea Lee, Ph.D., instructor of art, design and interdisciplinary studies, program coordinator of fine art and director of the Campanella Gallery, Liberty, Mo.
--- Kathryn Hwang, campus safety officer and interim director of campus safety, North Kansas City, Mo.
Student Employee of the Year Award
The recipient of this special award goes to an outstanding work-study student who is chosen on the basis of his/her reliability, quality of work, initiative, professionalism and the uniqueness of his/her contributions to the University.
• Jennifer Brown, senior business administration/management major, and works as a student success specialist in the Office of Enrollment and Student Services, Independence, Mo. (attended Smithville [Mo.] High School)
Graduate Assistant of the Year Award
The recipient of this special award goes to an outstanding graduate assistant student who is chosen on the basis of his/her reliability, quality of work, initiative, professionalism and the uniqueness of his/her contributions to the University.
• Jasur Rakhimov, graduate student in the Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership program, and works as a student programs specialist in the Office of Student Life, Samarkand, Uzbekistan
Student Organization Adviser of the Year Award
This award recognizes the staff/faculty member who has provided outstanding efforts in guiding and advising student organizations.
• Linda Bell, Accounting Club adviser, and lecturer of accounting, economics and finance, and program coordinator of accounting, Liberty, Mo.
Park Student Government Association / Cindy Anderson Senator of the Year Award
PSGA helps explore campus issues of importance to Park University and provides assistance to student organizations, and helps ensure students’ voices are heard when decisions are made about the future of the institution.
• Haley Weatherford, junior business administration/marketing major, Lee’s Summit, Mo. (attended Blue Springs [Mo.] South High School)
Community Service Program of the Year Award
Awarded to the student club or academic organization that made outstanding contributions to local, national or global communities through an organized service or civic engagement program.
• Social Work Club
Student Organization of the Year Award
Awarded to the club(s) that has/have made the greatest contributions to the Park community through organization, innovation and commitment to the organization’s purpose and activities.
• Business and Investment Club (small club); Psychology Club (large club)
In addition, the 2015-16 slate of Park Student Government Association officers and senators were recognized for their service:
• Officers: Ayla Parham, president; James Boyer, vice president; Zac Jarrard, business manager; Chloe Durand, secretary; and Iroda Narzullaeva, public relations chair
• Senators: Derek Braun, Doug Dowell, Bethany Dunn, Hope Gautney, Akwy Gawg, Will Henry, Alayna Howard, Emma Kitelinger, Afaq Muradzade, Thomas Murphy, Armando Moran, Samuel Morgan, Madisyn Pettit, Nathan Stegemann and Haley Weatherford