Current International Students

The following information and forms are designed to assist international students with common questions and requests. For more information or for issues not on this list, contact International Student Services, Herr House, Room 207; (816) 584-6820.

If you are a future student who has been admitted to Park University, learn more about planning your travel, housing and enrollment.

Need a Letter?

ISS routinely provides the following letters for international students:

  • Driver’s License or Permit
  • Full-Time Status Verification
  • Invitation for Graduation or Visits

Please allow 1-2 days to process. Letters can be picked up at the ISS office. No letter will be processed the same day as requested (no exceptions). Students are responsible for any delay as a result of missing information on the letter request form.

Change of Address

As an international student with an F-1 visa, you are responsible for keeping the ISS up-to-date on your current living and mailing addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail address. When you change your address, you must inform Park within 10 days of moving. This must be done at the Registrar's Office in McKay Hall and at the Office of International Student Services.

Get a Missouri Driver's License or State ID

You must have a valid driver's license to drive any motorized vehicle (car, van, truck, motorcycle). To obtain a license you will be required to pass a written (multiple-choice) exam as well as a driving test. A study guide is available.

You have the option to obtain a Missouri State ID card. You are encouraged to do this, especially if you do not obtain a driver&#'s license. A state ID is useful when writing checks and in other situations when identification is required. Many situations require two pieces of identification. You do not need a state ID if you have a Missouri Driver's License.

Change of Status/ Reinstatement

If you have not maintained your status (i.e., your I-20 has expired, you did not complete 12 credit hours, etc.), you are required to apply for reinstatement to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (UCIS) before you are allowed to register for the next semester. You must complete your application for reinstatement within 5 months of losing your status. If you have been out of status for more than 5 months, you must have a valid explanation before being allowed to apply for reinstatement. If the explanation is not valid, you will need to return to your home country. 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an employment option available to F-1 students when it is an integral part of the curriculum or academic program. According to UCIS regulations, this employment may be an internship, cooperative education job, a practicum or any other work experience that is either required for your degree (as defined in the course catalog) or which is for academic credit.

Through Optional Practical Training, students who have completed their course of study—or everything except the thesis or dissertation—may be employed full time for one year in their field of study. The year of full-time training may be reduced if the student has previously been authorized for it or has spent more than one year in full-time Curricular Practical Training. Optional Practical Training is also known as a “paid internship for credit.”

Optional Practical Training and Curricular Practical Training require consultation with the foreign-student advisor and work authorization from the USCIS. Be sure to complete the application process at least three months before you intend to begin working. You may not be employed until you receive the authorization.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Authorization Form
Checklist for Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Extension of OPT

Students who have received a degree in one of the following disciplines and are employed in their field of study will be eligible to apply for a one-time extension for 17 additional months, for a maximum of 29 months:

  • Actuarial Science
  • Computer Science Applications
  • Engineering
  • Engineering Technologies
  • Life Sciences
  • Mathematics
  • Military Technologies
  • Physical Sciences

Please consult with your foreign student advisor to learn more about the procedures for getting an OPT extension. OPT students are required to find a job within 90 days from the start date on their employment authorization card. If the student has not secured a job in this period, the OPT will be nullified. You must keep Park’s ISS office updated on your employer’s information and any changes in address while on an OPT.

Employment Options for F-1 Students

Students who are maintaining their F-1 non-immigrant status are eligible for employment. F-1 students may work on campus without any special permission from USCIS.

Off-campus employment can be arranged under special circumstances such as financial hardship. Students are only eligible for this if they have completed at least two semesters of study at Park University. Check with ISS if you believe this applies to you. You may not work more than a total of 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semesters. One exception: you may work full-time (up to 40 hours per week) during breaks between semesters at Park (summer, winter and spring) as long as you will be returning to class the following term.

Checklist for Economic Hardship

Immigration Issues

Park's Office of International Student Admissions and Services is here to assist you with immigration issues. We understand that immigration laws and paperwork can be complicated. However, international students are responsible for their own immigration status. When in doubt, ask questions ahead of time.