Office of University Marketing and Communications
Public Relations / Media Relations
One of the most important functions of MarCom is to communicate the Park University story -- its unique vision, the critical role Park plays in serving those who serve their communities and their country, and the University’s growing impact, both nationally and internationally. Critical to this function is MarCom's liaison work with the member of the media and the outlets they serve. The goal is to ensure that information disseminated to the public is accurate and that the University's messages are consistent and professional.
The staff in MarCom interact with local, regional and national news media to facilitate coverage of significant events and activities of the Park community, including its 40 campus centers nationwide. MarCom also manages Park’s social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter, among others, and helps journalists connect with Park University experts. We’re a journalistic team in our own right and cover University events and accomplishments for Park publications such as the Imprint Express, Park University E-News and Park University Magazine, as well as for rotating features on Park’s website.
Park University policy stipulates that all requests for interviews or information from the media must be routed through MarCom, including those from student media outlets. Faculty, staff and students are asked to notify MarCom staff as soon as possible if contacted by a member of the media for information or comment.
MarCom also works with academic units and administrative departments on the best methods of communicating with various internal and external audiences. Our expertise lies in making the most effective use of University resources to reach a targeted audience or multiple markets. MarCom is also responsible for alerting the Park community in the event of severe weather or other emergencies.
- Write and distribute media alerts and news releases.
- Generate news stories and photographs.
- Connect media with faculty experts, staff and students.
- Coordinate all news media visits to Park's Kansas City area campuses, and assist other campuses when requested.
- Consult with academic units and administrative departments on communication strategies and messaging.
- Manage the University's emergency-alert notification system, ParkAlert.
- Advise Kansas City area media on weather-related closings, postponements and other schedule changes.
- Maintain the University's Speakers Bureau.
- Photography services.
Staff in MarCom depend on their Park colleagues to provide information when events are planned or when a faculty member, staff or student has received an award or has other good news to share. We want to hear from you! Submit your news and/or event-related information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on public relations/media relations services, contact: