Academic Withdrawal Policy


Park University has two types of withdrawal from courses. An administrative withdrawal is initiated by the institution. An academic withdrawal is initiated by the student. If you have financial aid, administrative withdrawals and/or student-initiated withdrawals may affect that assistance. If you are an international nonimmigrant student, either type of withdrawal may result in a loss of your lawful nonimmigrant status.

Park University reserves the right to administratively withdraw a student from class(es) for failure to meet financial obligations or failure to attend classes during the first two weeks of the semester/term without an approved excuse. Excused absences may be granted at the discretion of the instructor.

In the case of an administrative withdrawal for failure to meet financial obligations, the University will use the date of registration as the effective date of the withdrawal if the student has not participated in academically- related activity. In the event that the student has participated in academically- related activity, the effective date of the withdrawal will be the last day to drop a course, day 8 of term, as outlined in the Park University catalog.

If a student fails to initiate the academic withdrawal process and has never attended the class during the first two weeks of the semester or term, the University will initiate an administrative withdrawal for non-attendance with no permanent notation to your academic record. In this case, the refund calculation will be based on the day prior to the start of the term/semester or registration date if registered after the start of the semester/term.

A course withdrawal is an official, student-initiated request to discontinue enrollment in one or more, but not all, courses in a session (Fall 1, Fall 2, Spring, Maymester, etc.).The notification to discontinue enrollment in a course(s) occurs after the enrollment adjustment period and, therefore, results in a grade of “W” (withdrawn) or “WF” (withdraw failure). Students who withdraw within the first two-thirds of the session receive a “W”. Students who withdraw during the last third of the session receive a “WF”. Refer to the Term Dates Calendar for deadlines by term. Home campus (Parkville) students must request a course withdrawal through Student Success or by e-mailing

Distance Learning and Campus Center students must notify their campus center or Student Success Coach by e-mailing Graduate Students must notify their campus center or Student Success Coach by e-mailing Students may not initiate an academic withdrawal from a class if the course instructor has submitted an academic dishonesty form implicating the student in a violation of the Academic Honesty policy. In the event that an academic dishonesty allegation results in a finding of no-fault, the effective date for withdrawal will be adjusted as needed.

A session/university withdrawal is a student-initiated request to discontinue all courses within a session (Fall 1, Fall 2, Spring, Maymester, etc.). To request a session/university withdrawal, students must complete the Request for Session/University Withdrawal Form in MyPark or contact the Registrar’s Office (3rd floor Mackay;; 816-584-6275). Students are able to initiate a session/university withdrawal until the last day of the session. When requesting a session/university withdrawal, refunds (if applicable, see refund policy below) and grades (see grading policy in catalog) for all withdrawn courses are based on the date the withdrawal request form is submitted or the date the student provides official notification to the Registrar’s Office of intent to withdraw from a session.

Students who are unable to officially withdraw due to military deployments, hospitalization, or other extenuating circumstances must submit supporting documentation to, preferably at the time of the withdrawal request but no later than five business days following submission of the request. Exceptions to the grading and/or refund policies are granted at the sole discretion of the University.


When a student withdraws from all classes in an enrollment period, and that student has received federal financial assistance, federal regulations require that calculation be performed to determine if any federal funds must be returned. This is referred to as a Returned to Title IV calculation. If it is determined that funds need to be returned, they will be returned in the following order:

A school must return Title IV funds to the programs from which the student received aid during the payment period or period of enrollment as applicable, in the following order, up to the net amount disbursed from each source:

  • Unsubsidized Direct Stafford loans (other than PLUS loans
  • Subsidized Direct Stafford loans
  • Federal Perkins loans
  • Federal PLUS loans
  • Direct PLUS loans
  • Federal Pell Grants for which a Return is required
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) for which a return of funds is required
  • Federal TEACH Grants for which a Return is required
  • Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant for which a Return is required.

A student’s withdrawal date is:

  • the date the student began the institution’s withdrawal process (as described in the University catalog) or officially notified the institution of intent to withdraw; or
  • the midpoint of the period for a student who leaves without notifying the institution; or
  • the student’s last date of attendance at a documented academically related activity

III. Add, Drop, Swap Courses

Students can make changes to their course schedules in MyPark using the “Add/Drop/Swap Courses” feature in MyPark. MyPark will allow students to drop, swap and add classes by term according to the academic calendar. If students want to drop or withdrawal from ALL classes in a term, they will need to use the Request for Session/University Withdrawal Form in MyPark or e-mail from their Park University e-mail account with their request. We suggest students discuss desired drops or withdrawals with their Student Success Coach or Campus Center before executing.

IV. Refund Schedule for Dropping or Withdrawing from a Course

Students who withdraw from a course after the drop period will not receive a 100 percent tuition refund. For more information on refund amounts, refer to the chart below.


16 Week9 or 8 Week5 or 4 Week2 Week
First 8 Calendar days of term100%100%50%50%
Day 9 through conclusion of week 275%30%20%10%
Week 350%20%10%
Week 425%10%0%
Week 520%5%0%
Week 620%0%
Week 710%0%
Week 810%0%
Week 95%0%
Week 105%
Week 11-160%

NORTH DAKOTA (On-Site Classes Only)

8 Week Term9 Week Term
7 Days100%100%
14 Days75%
16 Days75%
28 Days50%
29 Days0%
31 Days50%
32 Days0%

The policies of the California Student Tuition Recovery Fund, the North Dakota Refund Calculation Schedule and the Georgia Refund Policy are in the Appendix of the Catalog. The complete policy, explaining how financial aid to be refunded is calculated, is available in the Office of Student Financial Services or on the Park University website. Virginia residents enrolled in a Park University 16-week term will receive refunds based on 8 VAC 40-31-160 (N) (8).



16 Week 60% point is Week 10
9 or 8 Week 60% point is Week 5
5 or 4 Week 60% point is Week 3
2 Week 60% point is Week 2

*This applies to Department of Defense Tuition Assistance.

Park University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.

Park University is a private, non-profit, institution of higher learning since 1875.