How to Apply

Step 1: Find your program

Visit our Programs Page to learn about what Park has to offer. We work with over 56 partner institutions in 30 different countries. You can schedule a time to meet with a study abroad advisor by emailing us at or submit an inquiry and we will contact you with information. We will assist you on selecting a program that works for you and that meets your academic goals and personal interests.

Step 2: Know your deadlines

The Study Abroad Office accepts applications on a rolling basis; however each program or institution may have a deadline for application. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible so they don’t miss scholarship deadlines or host institution deadlines. Furthermore, chances of admissions increase by submitting early applications.

Step 3: Begin your application

Completing a Park Study Abroad Application is required for all students. In addition to completing the Park Study Abroad application you will be required to submit an application for the program to which you are applying and/or the Host Institution. You are not approved to participate in a program until your Park Study Abroad Application is complete and approved by the Park Study Abroad Office.

Below is a list of the general documents needed for an application. Requirements will vary depending on the program selected.

  • Official Transcript
  • Two references
  • Color copy of passport
  • Personal Statement

Step 4: Apply for a passport

You know you are going abroad! Do not wait, apply or renew your passport now.

What is a passport?

A passport is your valid identification as an US citizen. Passports are needed to enter and leave the United States and to enter and leave foreign countries. The US Department of State is the government authority that issues passports in the US. All Northwest students studying abroad are required to obtain a passport.

Passports must be valid for at least six months after program’s end date. A passport will be needed when applying for a student visa (required for most study abroad programs).

Passport applications can take up to eight weeks. Without a passport, students cannot apply for a student visa. It is the students’ responsibility to apply for a passport and student visa.

It is important to apply for your passport as soon as possible since the Passport Agency is behind due to high demand.

How to apply for a passport:

  1. Download an application from the State Department website.
    1. Provide Application for Passport, Form DS-11
    2. Present Proof of Citizenship – Birth Certificate issued by the city, country or state
    3. Present Proof of Identity (Driver’s license and two passport size pictures)
    4. Provide two passport size photos
    5. Pay the passport fee (Adult first time applicants is: $110 + execution fee $25)
  2. Get your passport photos taken. This can be done at some pharmacies, or at a travel agency like AAA.
  3. Submit your application, fee, and photos.

U.S. Passport Services Back to Standard Processing Time

If you have applied for, but not yet received your passport you may check the status of your passport application online.

More information on the passport application process and processing times is available on the U.S. Department of State website.

Information will be generated automatically on the status of your application.  If your program will be departing in two weeks, you may call the National Passport Information Center to request expedited service on your passport.  The number for the National Passport Information Center is 1-877-487-2778.  You will likely have to call many times to get through the automated system and into the queue. You’ll know when you’ve reached the phone queue when you hear the music playing.

Park University’s degree programs are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.

Park University is a private, non-profit, institution of higher learning since 1875.