Chris Lowrance Exhibiting Paintings at Park University’s Campanella Gallery
Nov. 6, 2018 — An exhibit featuring the paintings of artist Chris Lowrance is on display in Park University’s recently renovated Campanella Gallery through Friday, Dec. 7. Admission to the Gallery, located within Norrington Center on the University’s Parkville Campus, is free. A reception for the artist will be held on Friday, Nov. 16, from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the Gallery.
Lowrance, a resident of Kansas City, Mo., is an adjunct instructor of fine art at Park. He said of his paintings, “Most recently, I am interested in investigating a kind of compromised portraiture. With a bratty idea lifted from a punk rock album cover, I started a series of large-scale portraits, the heads of all the figures in the paintings upside down, sideways or out of scale. This is a fundamental flaw challenging any notion of authority that’s projected by a typical portrait painting…The paintings present both obstacles and appeals. The audience engaging with the paintings is engaging with the vivid dilemma of being present with and understanding the imperfect other.”
This exhibit is being held in conjunction with the 30th anniversary of the Campanella Gallery at Park University. The gallery, founded by Donna Bachmann, professor emerita of art, was named after Vincent Campanella, professor emeritus of art and distinguished artist-in-residence at Park, who founded the University’s art program.
Norrington Center and the Campanella Gallery will be open during the exhibit the following dates and times:
• Through Friday, Nov. 9 — Regular building hours: Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.; Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Nov. 10 — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Sunday and Monday, Nov. 11-12 — Closed for Veterans Day holiday
• Tuesday, Nov. 13, through Tuesday, Nov. 20 — Regular building hours: Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.; Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday, 4 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
• Wednesday, Nov. 21 — 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Nov. 22, through Saturday, Nov. 24 — Closed for Thanksgiving holiday
• Sunday, Nov. 25, through Friday, Dec. 7 — Regular building hours: Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.; Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday, 4 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Andrea Lee, Ph.D., Park University assistant professor of art and chair of the Department of Art and Design, is the director of the Campanella Gallery.