Hundreds of Park University alumni from across the country and their families are expected to converge on the University’s Parkville Campus for Homecoming Weekend 2016, Thursday through Saturday, Sept. 15-17.
While a number of activities are reserved for Park alumni and their families, there are some events that are open to the public. These include (events with ticketed admission are noted):
FRIDAY, SEPT. 16
• Park University Alumni Association Awards Luncheon, 11:30 a.m. at Black on Burlington, North Kansas City, Mo. Tickets are $30 per person or $300 for a table of 10.
• Three Park alumni and one community leader will be honored: Anthony Melchiorri, 1990 graduate, and host of Travel Channel’s “Hotel Impossible”; Peter deSilva, president of Scottrade Inc. and Scottrade Investment Management, past president/chief operating officer of UMB Financial Corp and a past member (2006-15) of the University’s Board of Trustees; Greg Mills, 1997 Master of Public Administration graduate and city administrator/public safety director for the City of Riverside, Mo.; and Darwin Rivera, who received both his bachelor’s degree (2004) and Master of Business Administration degree (2007) from Park, and serves as senior solutions architect at HID Global, and founder/principal of Guayama Group Inc.
• Norrington Center Rededication, 3 p.m., Norrington Center.
• Featured speaker will be Stephanie Tolson, 1974 Park graduate and dean of learning resources and academic support at St. Charles (Mo.) Community College
• Park University Athletics Wall of Honor Induction Banquet and Unveiling, 6:30 p.m., Park Distance Learning Conference Center. Tickets are $35 per person.
• Selected for induction are: Chris Perrone, two-sport athlete in men’s track and field and soccer from 1982-86; Eric Ongao, 2002 NAIA men’s soccer player of the year; Donald J. Breckon, Ph.D., Park University president emeritus; and the 1997-98 men’s basketball team that advanced to the NAIA national semifinals
SATURDAY, SEPT. 17
• Athletics Alumni Games/Matches
• Women’s soccer, 9 a.m., Hemingway Field
• Women’s basketball, 10 a.m., Breckon Sports Center
• Baseball, 10 a.m., Comfort Field
• Softball, 10 a.m. Park Softball Complex
• Men’s basketball, 11 a.m., Breckon Sports Center
• Men’s soccer, 4:30 p.m., Hemingway Field
• Men’s volleyball and women’s volleyball, 4:30 p.m., Breckon Sports Center
• Pirate Storytelling, Norrington Center, 10:30 a.m.
• Barbecue lunch, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., University’s 6th Street Entrance. Tickets are $10 per person.
• Women’s and men’s soccer matches vs. Lyon College, Julian Field. Admission price is: $5 for the general public, $3 for seniors and non-Park University students and $2 for active military and Park alumni. Park University students, faculty and staff are admitted free with a valid Park ID card.
• Women’s match, noon
• Presentation of Class of 2016 Athletics Wall of Honor, 2 p.m.
• Men’s match, 2:15 p.m.
• Crowning of Homecoming Court, approximately 3 p.m.
• International Center for Music concert, 7:30 p.m., Graham Tyler Memorial Chapel
For more information or to purchase tickets for the awards luncheon, Wall of Honor banquet and/or barbecue lunch, visit www.park.edu/homecoming or contact the University’s Office of Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org / (816) 584-6209.