In celebration of the leadership achievements of Park University students, faculty and staff during the 2016-17 academic year, the Office of Student Life and the Park Student Government Association co-hosted the 22th annual Dr. Doris A. Howell Leadership Awards on April 19 on the University’s Parkville Campus. The event is named for Howell, a 1944 Park graduate and an internationally renowned leader in pediatrics and hospice care.
Awards presented and the recipients:
(Name, year in school, major, hometown [and high school attended, if known], for students; name, work title and hometown for faculty/staff):
Dr. Doris Howell Leadership Awards: This award is given to students who distinguish themselves uniquely as leaders regardless of position or title. Recipients represent the spirit of a Park University by: pursuing integrity in every endeavor; inclusiveness as a global citizen; are responsible and respectful in word, work and conduct; are aware of the implications and rewards of their education; truthful in every action; and excellence in modeling the Park University lifestyle.
• Margarita Araiza, senior secondary education/biology major, Kansas City, Mo. (attended Oak Park High School)
• Kevin Baba, senior political science/international politics major, Kansas City, Mo.
• Gunner Backues-Eberspacher, freshman business administration/marketing major, Kansas City, Mo.
• Bridget Barta, senior secondary education/English major, Monett, Mo. (attended Monett High School)
• Jeff Belke, senior English writing major, Kansas City, Mo. (attended Park Hill South High School, Riverside, Mo.)
• Erin Esry, senior social psychology major, Hamilton, Mo. (attended Penney High School)
• Indra Ganbat, senior political science/international politics major, Erdenet City, Mongolia
• Akwy Gawg, senior biology major, Kansas City, Mo. (attended Oak Park High School)
• William Graff, junior political science major, Riverside, Mo. (attended Park Hill South High School)
• Erin Harrell, senior communication arts/journalism major, Emma, Mo. (attended Sweet Springs [Mo.] High School)
• Alayna Howard, senior communication arts/public relations and English writing major, Kingston, Mo. (attended Cameron [Mo.] High School)
• Taela Ivory, sophomore nursing major, Florissant, Mo. (attended Hazelwood Central High School)
• David Jackson, senior criminal justice administration/law enforcement major, Gastonia, N.C. (attended Hazelwood [Mo.] West High School)
• Abigail Jeans, junior communication arts/broadcasting major, Platte City, Mo.
• Grace Komoe, Bachelor of Science in business administration/finance graduate (January 2017), Rabat, Morocco
• Aleksandra Masiuk, senior business administration/logistics major, Kansas City, Mo.
• Luther Nicholaus, graduate student seeking Master of Business Administration, Parkville, Mo.
• Haley Weatherford, senior business administration/marketing major, Independence, Mo. (attended Blue Springs [Mo.] South High School)
Honorary Dr. Doris Howell Award: This was a special award presented to Donna Waters, administrative assistant in Park’s Sodexo Dining Services, Kansas City, Mo., who is retiring at the end of the academic year after 35 years of service.
Outstanding Class Member Awards: This award honors one male and one female student from each class (sophomore, junior and non-graduating senior, based on the number of years enrolled at Park, not by credit hours completed) who best represents their class in service to, and participation in, Park University.
• Non-Graduating Seniors
-- Max Mohr, senior interdisciplinary studies major, Hale, Mo. (attended Hale High School)
-- Sabrina Silva, senior communication arts/journalism major, Sao Paulo, Brazil
-- Aaliyah Brown, junior fitness and wellness major, St. Louis, Mo.
-- Blake Sellers, senior business administration/management major, Rayville, Mo. (attended Lawson [Mo.] High School)
-- Iroda Narzullaeva, sophomore information and computer science/software engineering major, Samarkand, Uzbekistan
-- Logan Trowbridge, junior chemistry major, Blue Springs, Mo. (attended Blue Springs South High School)
Dusing-Proudfoot Award: This award is given to honor an outstanding contribution by a Park University faculty or staff member. It is named in honor of two former Park University professors, Albert Dusing and Merrill Proudfoot, who worked at Park for more than 20 years each and are respected for their academic and teaching betterment of students.
• John Noren, Ph.D. associate professor of sociology, Blue Springs, Mo.
Tipton Award: This award is given to honor an outstanding service contribution to Park University by a Park alumnus/alumna. It is named to honor Bill and Mary Lou Tipton, both 1928 Park graduates. Throughout their lives, the Tiptons served Park University through the Park University Alumni Association, Friends of the Park University Library and the Park University Board of Trustees.
• Philip Wheeler, 1962 graduate, former member of Park’s Board of Trustees and current chair of the University’s Trustees Society, Tucson, Ariz.
Park Family Award: This award recognizes a Park staff or faculty member who embodies the University’s family-like culture in his/her interaction with students and fellow staff/faculty.
• Scott Hageman, associate dean of the School of Natural and Applied Sciences, and associate professor of geology, Kansas City, Mo.
• Susan Michaud, Academic Support Center office manager, Kansas City, Mo.
Toni Griggs Award: This award is given to honor students who have made an outstanding contribution to Park University through leadership, service or work performance. Griggs, a Park employee and an integral part of the University for three decades, was a friend to Park students, faculty and staff.
• Zachary Hahn, senior biology major, Kansas City, Mo
• Nyshele Posey, senior biology major, Kansas City, Mo. (attended Liberty [Mo.] High School)
C.W. Bailey Award: This award is given in memory of C.W. Bailey, grandfather of John Shelton, a 1976 Park graduate, to students for the purpose of facilitating their education to the end that they may make a contribution to society in the tradition of Bailey. It is presented to one or two students who have distinguished themselves and exhibited the spirit of Park University.
• Allison Davidson, freshman business administration/management major, Kansas City, Mo. (attended North Kansas City [Mo.] High School)
• Jesse Patrick, freshman information and computer science/software engineering major, Kansas City, Kan.
Park Servant Leader of the Year Award: Awarded to a student who exemplifies the characteristics of a strong servant leader and/or has a service-focused mindset, and has worked effectively with others in the University and/or surrounding community to be a positive change.
• Arber Dumani, junior communication arts/public relations major, Weatherby Lake, Mo. (originally from Tirana, Albania)
Faculty/Staff Newcomer of the Year Award: Presented to the faculty or staff member in his/her first year of outstanding service to the University.
• Faculty: Monica Brannon, Ph.D., assistant professor of sociology, Kansas City, Mo.
• Staff: Jon Ritterbush, director of library services and learning commons, Kansas City, Mo.
Student Employee of the Year Award: The recipient of this special award goes to an outstanding work-study student who is chosen on the basis of his/her reliability, quality of work, initiative, professionalism and the uniqueness of his/her contributions to the University.
• Nathan Coffey, junior business administration/logistics major, Bonner Springs, Kan. (works in the Purchasing Department)
Graduate Assistant of the Year Award: The recipient of this special award goes to an outstanding graduate assistant student who is chosen on the basis of his/her reliability, quality of work, initiative, professionalism and the uniqueness of his/her contributions to the University.
• Kirill Zhurauliou, graduate student in the Master of Business Administration program and 2016 Park graduate, Overland Park, Kan. (originally from Minsk, Belarus), works as an international services specialist in the Office of International Students
Student Organization Adviser of the Year Award: This award recognizes the staff/faculty member who has provided outstanding efforts in guiding and advising student organizations.
• Donna Ehrlich, Ph.D., visiting associate professor of information systems and decision science, and adviser to Spectrum, Kansas City, Mo.
Student Success and Impact Award: This award recognizes educators who have made an outstanding impact and profound difference on Park students.
• Florenda Jarrard, assistant director of academic support services, Kansas City, Mo.
Park Student Government Association / Cindy Anderson Senator of the Year Award: This award recognizes the senator who made the greatest contribution to PSGA during the year. The award is named for Anderson, a Park freshman soccer player from Grimes, Iowa, who was killed in an accident (along with a teammate and head coach) heading to a NAIA playoff game in 2000.
• James Boyer, junior business administration/international business major, Kansas City, Mo.
Community Service Program of the Year Award: Awarded to the student club or academic organization that made outstanding contributions to local, national or global communities through an organized service or civic engagement program.
Student Organizations of the Year Award: Awarded to the club(s) that has/have made the greatest contributions to the Park community through organization, innovation and commitment to the organization’s purpose and activities.
• Black Student Union (large club) and Spectrum (small club)
New Student Organization of the Year Award: This award is given to an outstanding student organization that was formed within the past academic year.
• Park Explorers
In addition, the 2016-17 slate of Park Student Government Association officers and senators were recognized for their service:
• Officers: Grant Williams, president; Armando Moran, vice president; Madison Workman, business manager; and Alayna Howard, secretary; Iroda Narzullaeva, public relations chair
• Senators: Kyla Aitaro, Gunner Backues-Eberspacher, Olivia Biles, James Boyer, Destinee Dale, Ghislaine Fumey, Hannah Hartzell, William Henry, Ronald Lang, Aleah Lua, Thomas Murphy, Jesse Patrick, Donna Pretrick, Emily Raffety, Blake Sellers