Self Help and ActivitiesLight Therapy
The Counseling Center now offers Light Therapy for Seasonal Affective Disorder. Make an appointment to visit the Resource Room and receive light therapy while doing your homework or surfing the net.
Visit the Counseling Center Resource Room for access to academic resources.
General Mental Health Resources
- Do You Need Therapy?
- Resource for Mental Wellness booklets are available in the Counseling Center in Dearing Hall and in the Office of Student Life, Thompson Commons, 2nd Floor.
- The Hampden-Sydney College Wellness Center provides a collection of self-help brochures and handouts that have been developed by college and university counseling centers across the country. These pamphlets cover a vast array of developmental and mental health issues of particular interest to college students.
- The American Psychological Association provides information on psychology in daily life. These resources provide information on mental health and psychological issues that face us all. They are collected into topical groups of health information, family and the mind-body connection.
- The American Psychological Association Help Center includes information on mental health issues affecting work, home and mind-body.
- The National Institute of Mental Health provides online publications of frequently occurring problems. The NIMH is a very reliable source of information.
- Therapy Guide: Psychotherapy Treatment Resources describes different types of psychotherapy, and is a good resource for psychology students.
Collegiate Mental Health Resources
The Counseling Center has a wealth of resources for those who want information about developmental and mental health issues relevant to college students. The intention is not to diagnose or provide treatment to individuals. Contact us if you want to learn more about the following mental health topics or receive guidance if you or someone you know requires further assistance.
- Academic Success
- Alcohol Use, Abuse, and Dependency
- Anger and Aggression
- Domestic Abuse
- Eating Disorders
- Locus of Control
- Romantic Relationships
- Relaxation Exercises
- Sexual Assault
- Sexual Orientation
- Suicide Education and Prevention
- Volunteer Opportunities