Why does Park University have a counselor?
Park University recognizes that the college years contain exceptional opportunities for growth and development as well as intellectual discovery. At the same time the academic, social and psychological challenges encountered can be stressful and demanding. Students face decisions to be made, relationships to be developed, academic work to be mastered, and personal growth and change to be accomplished. Counseling is a service provided by Park University which can be a valuable resource in managing these stresses. What are some reasons to seek counseling?
Even though our friends may be helpful when discussing problems in living, they may not have the knowledge or objectivity needed for effective problem-solving. Seeking information from one who is professionally trained is often a good solution in addition to the support received from friends. How can I use counseling?
How does counseling work?
- Gathering information to make decisions about life goals
- Establish the stability necessary to complete your education
- Resolve problems in a personal relationship
- Manage feelings of loneliness
- Address feelings of depression or loss
- Seek understanding about your relationship with family
- Learn to manage stress
- Explore gender and cultural influences which affect you and may create stress
- Develop more effective communication skills to create greater comfort in your interpersonal relationships
- Receive assistance in locating the resources to manage problems such as alcohol and other drug dependency in a friend or yourself, codependency, eating disorders, etc.
- Facing major life transitions such as: leaving home, marriage, birth, death, divorce, etc.
Counseling is a form of interaction that helps you define problems, sort out feelings and determine your own direction. It is a different process for each individual, depending on the particular concerns being addressed. You will probably meet with a counselor several times to discuss your concerns in detail.
Often the counselor will ask for more information about the concern and your background. The counselor will want to understand how this problem began and how it is affecting you. Sometimes, you may find that “just talking about it” is helpful. Or sometimes, you and the counselor may jointly decide upon a plan for dealing in greater detail with your concerns.
The counseling process doesn’t necessarily have to deal with “heavy” problems. It usually assists normal people who are facing difficult situations, decisions, or issues. While only you can solve your problems, a counselor can assist you with information and support. Is counseling confidential?
All counseling information, including the fact that you have been seen, is strictly confidential. Information on students receiving counseling is not made available to anyone (including faculty, administrators or parents) without the student’s written consent. Per FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)
, counseling records are not part of a student’s educational record. What services are available?
What is the cost?
- Counseling for individuals and couples (if both people are students)
- Consultation is offered to all Park University students, faculty, and staff (For example, you might want to drop by to discuss concerns about a co-worker, friend, etc.)
- Light therapy for Seasonal Affective Disorder
- For students not on the Parkville campus, please contact our center for mental health referrals in your area.
There is no charge for counseling services for Park University students. How do I arrange to see the counselor?
It is best to make an appointment in advance by emailing
the Counseling Center or stopping by the Counseling Center located on the first floor of Dearing Hall. If the door is closed, the Counselor is with a student and it would be best to call to make an appointment. The office hours of the Counselor are posted on the office door. If you send an email, please include your name, student number, a phone number where you can be reached, and a brief description of the reason for making an appointment. Additional Information
For additional information, contact
any of the counselors at the Counseling Center.