Academic Support Center
Writing Competency Test (WCT)The Writing Competency Test (WCT) is a short test designed to make sure you know how to structure, cite and write essays and research papers. The WCT is a graduation requirement for all students.
The Academic Support Center offers prep classes, study groups, and even individual help to prepare for it!
- All cited material must come from the packet; no outside sources may be used.
- All articles in the packet must be used in some way.
- No reference books may be brought into the testing room by students. This includes dictionaries, stylebooks, etc. The proctor will have these references available for student use in the testing room.
- Only handwritten material in the blue book will be considered by the scorers. Material stapled into a blue book, whether printed or handwritten may disqualify a blue book from scoring.
- Remember that you must include both a References/Works Cited page AND also show internal documentation (i.e. reference within the paragraphs) to show the sources!
- Students approved for testing accommodations because of a disability should contact the Director of Academic Support Services (816-584-6332) to arrange accommodations for WCT.
Test and Prep Classes Dates for Kansas City Area
WCT packets available at all Metro campus locations on Tuesday, September 2, 2014
Downtown Kansas City Campus Center
- Test: Saturday, Sept. 13, 2014 10 a.m.
- Prep class: Tuesday Sept 9, 2014 12:00 pm (noon) at the Downtown Campus
- Test: Thursday, Sept. 11, 3 p.m. & 6 p.m. at Park Distance Learning
- Prep classes: [all Prep classes held in the Library Classroom, MA 318]
- Thursday Sept. 4, 6:00 pm
- Monday Sept. 8, at 1:30 pm and 6:00 pm
- Tuesday Sept. 9 at 1:00 pm and 6:00 pm
WCT packets available at all Metro campus locations on Monday, October 20, 2014.
Independence Campus Center
- Test: Saturday, November 1, 2014 10 a.m.
- Prep class: Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2014 6:00 pm at the Independence Campus
- Test: Thursday, October 30, 3 p.m. & 6 p.m. at Park Distance Learning
- Prep classes: [Prep classes held in the Library Classroom MA 318]
- Thursday, Oct. 23 at 6:00 pm
- Monday, Oct. 27 at 1:30 pm and 6:00 pm
- Tuesday, Oct. 28 at 1:00 pm and 6:00 pm
WCT Preparation Resources
- On Demand Video WCT Preparation Class
- WCT Structure -- Sample Outline (pdf)
- Preparing for the Writing Competency Test (pdf)
- The Basics of Good Essay Form (pdf)
- Ethics: Avoiding Plagiarism (pdf)
- APA Format
- MLA Format
During 2013-2014, 93.8% of students who worked with our writing specialists, either in person or through the Online Writing Lab, passed the WCT!
To schedule an appointment for individual help from a writing specialist on the Parkville campus, go to Parkville Campus Appointments to create an account and then access the schedule.
You can also ask your WCT questions online and even submit a draft for review with our Online Writing Lab!
Log into MyPark and enter the online classroom portal. Under "Special courses" choose PDL200: Online Writing Lab.
Once in the OWL, click on the tab at the left for "WCT," and you will find important info there about taking the WCT and how/when it is scored!