COMPUTER & INFORMATION SCIENCE TEST-OUT PROCEDURES
IS205 TEST-OUT PROCEDURE
This option is available to all campus centers (including the Parkville daytime campus center). A student may earn credit for IS205 by contacting the Park Testing Center, paying an $85 fee, and passing the Dantes Managing Information Systems test.
CS140 TEST-OUT PROCEDURE
This option is available to all campus centers (including the Parkville daytime campus center).
A test-out option is available for CS 140 Introduction to Computers. To complete the test-out option and receive credit for CS140, a student needs to:
- Pass the Information Systems CLEP exam
- Pass a Microsoft certification exam covering Microsoft Word Concepts (Exam 77-418 MOS: Microsoft Office Word 2013)
CLEP Exam Details
Students are required to pass the Information Systems CLEP exam. For information about the exam (registration, fee, content, where to take the exam, etc.), see Park’s Testing Center, and click on the link above. If a student fails the CS140 CLEP exam and wants to retake it, he/she must wait a minimum of 6 months before doing so.
When a student takes the CLEP exam, the testing administrator will contact the CLEP organization. If the student passes, the CLEP organization will send a record of the student’s pass to the Registrar’s office. The Registrar will then add CS199 Computer Science Elective – Information Systems & Computer Applications to the student’s degree audit.
Microsoft Certification Exam Details
After passing the CLEP exam and waiting for CS199 Computer Science Elective – Information Systems to appear on his/her degree audit (it may take several weeks), the student then proceeds to the next step – Exam 77-418 MOS: Microsoft Office Word 2013.
Standard Microsoft certification test procedures: If a student fails the Microsoft certification exam and wants to retake it, he/she must pay the exam fee for each exam retake.
- 1st exam retake – no minimum wait time.
- For each subsequent retake – minimum 7 days wait time
After passing the Microsoft certification exam, the student should send an official transcript of the passed exam to the Registrar’s office. To do so, the student should follow these instructions:
- Go to Certiport.
- Log in, using the user id and password assigned as part of the test-taking procedure.
- In the MyTranscript area under the MyCertiport tab, the student’s transcript should appear, showing the passed exam.
- In the View Mode pull-down menu, select Authorized View.
- Click the Authorize a Viewer button.
- In the resulting form, enter email@example.com in the email box and enter Test-Out Credit for CS140, in the message box, where, and are to be replaced accordingly.
- Click the Authorize button.
Upon receiving the Microsoft certification exam transcript, the Registrar will verify that CS199 Computer Science Elective – Information Systems already appears on the student’s degree audit. If it is not there, the Registrar will email the student and inform him/her of the problem. If it is there, the Registrar will edit the student’s degree audit by removing CS199 Computer Science Elective – Information Systems and adding Tested Out next to CS140.
If CS199 Computer Science Elective – Information Systems is not there, the Registrar will email the student and inform him/her of next steps.