Master of Arts in Communication and Leadership
The Master of Arts in Communication and Leadership will develop exceptional communicators who are creative and who possess the interpersonal and organizational skills needed to meet the demands of complex organizations in a global society.
The Master of Arts in Communication and Leadership program will be an international leader in the development of uniquely qualified individuals to provide innovative leadership within the global community.
- To provide students with an understanding of the centrality of communication in all aspects of personal and organizational life.
- To develop the ability of students to read and conduct research, and apply the principles to their own organizations.
- To provide a forum for the exchange of ideas between students and organizational leaders concerning the requirements to achieve excellence.
- To provide a historical overview of leadership perspectives from the 1940s to the present.
- To foster an awareness of the communication styles and values of different cultures and how these factors influence business in a global environment.
- To combine theoretical knowledge and practical skills to resolve organizational issues and improve decision-making.
- To develop a framework for ethical conduct in contemporary organizations.
Purpose of the ProgramIn the Republic, Plato discusses the appropriate training that should be a part of educating political leaders. Since the time of the classic Greek philosophers, countless individuals have speculated about the principles of leadership. The search for effective leadership continues today, as contemporary organizations become more complex. The Master of Arts in Communication and Leadership begins with the premise that communication is the essence of effective leadership. The student trained in communication is uniquely qualified to provide innovative leadership within the global community.
This graduate program is designed for professionals who wish to build upon their current career skills or advance to a new position or organization, and for students interested in pursuing a doctorate. The complexities of relationships and the competitive nature of business demand leaders with highly polished interpersonal and organizational skills. This degree combines the practical and theoretical knowledge needed to serve in corporate and nonprofit settings, the military, government, politics or other arenas, as well as developing the research and writing skills necessary for doctoral work.
Learning Outcomes Assessment/Program AssessmentEmbedded within each course syllabi will be methodologies for learning outcomes assessment for that particular course. The overall program outcomes will be assessed based on student performance in the program with particular emphasis on:
- Comprehensive written examinations
- Capstone course consisting of a thesis or a graduate project
- Thesis/graduate project oral defense